[H-GEN] A Few Quick Questions

Anthony Irwin anthonyi at toolboxsoftware.com.au
Sat Jul 26 20:50:23 EDT 2003

Hi,

The company I work for wants to set up Terminal Servers to cut costs of
adding and maintaining computers for new and existing staff.

I have done a fair bit of research and believe that ltsp will be the best
solution for the terminal servers.

My GNU/Linux influence has been rubbing off on them and most of the software
will change to be free software.

I do however have a small problem, the company requires that we run some
windows software. The software that is required to run is the software they
produce and sell.

The wine versions I have tried are wine20030709, wine20030618, wine20020411
and the wine that comes with knoppix 3.1 not sure what version it is.

The wine that came with knoppix seemed like it would almost work but seemed
to freeze up and wasn't usable but the other wines above that have version
numbers don't even load. I thought that upgrading wine to the latest version
would help but it doesn't seem to.

When testing the above wine versions I only installed wine and libwine for
the relevant version using debian packages downloaded from the debian site.

I have also tried running WineX 3.1-1 and CrossOverOffice 2.0.1 without any
luck. They don't want to try Win4Lin or VMWare as the major reason for
transferring to GNU/Linux and terminal servers is to cut costs and that
means no windows licenses which VMWare and Win4Lin would require.

Their in house software and act 2000 would be the only software required,
act 2000 works but the in house software doesn't. Below is some information
about the in house software that I hope will point to some idea of why it
doesn't work properly.

The software is programmed using softvolocity Clarion 5 and uses a topspeed
database. There is also another internal only software written in Clarion
5.5 but they are considering rewriting it to be web based using php and
mysql.

Below is the output from wine --debugmsg +warn toolbox.exe (This is the same
output displayed when trying to run the app).

Wine20030709 Output Below
---------------------------------------
err:module:import_dll Loading module (file) WINSPOOL.DRV (which is needed by
C:\TOOLBOX\C5runx.dll) failed (error -1073741595).
err:win32:PE_LoadLibraryExA can't load C:\TOOLBOX\C5runx.dll
err:module:import_dll Loading module (file) c5runx.dll (which is needed by
C:\TOOLBOX\toolbox.exe) failed (error -1073741801).
Wine exited with a successful status

If any one can point me in the right direction or suggest other technologies
that might work that would be great. Also I heard about software that runs
windows software from a windows machine across network would this be viable,
I know this would require windows licenses but if they see it working they
might go with it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin