[H-GEN] Strange samba issue

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Wed Jul 23 08:04:42 EDT 2003

On Wed Jul 23 2003 at 20:43, David Findlay wrote:

> I have a problem with some directories under a samba share. For some reason
> windows clients can't see any files or subdirectories under one of my dirs.
> Linux clients mounting via smbfs have no problems at all. I can't see
> anything strange or different about this directory, and renaming it doesn't
> work. Any ideas? Thanks,

Permissions... almost certainly this has something to do with
permissions.  The directory is probably no-read (or access) for the
user and/or group that the samba user is using to access it.

Try changing user/group ownership and/or chmod'ing the directory to
mode 755 (or similar) and see what happens.  (mode 777 or 1777 for
full read/write access, but better to be 775 if the user's group is
set appropriately for group-write access).

The big twist with samba using unix file permissions is that it
needs to translate between unix and dos/ntfs permissions (and
filetypes, eg, symlinks) in a sensible manner, and while the default
behaviour is usually sensible, smb.conf gives you a large degree of
control (and therefore complexity) for tweaking how it behaves.

> David

Cheers
Tony