[H-GEN] Info request: "Surviving Lotus Notes for Unix Geeks"

Andrae Muys andrae.muys at braintree.com.au
Wed Jul 23 01:09:53 EDT 2003

Michael Anthon wrote:
> Christopher Biggs wrote:
>> Here's what's still bugging me:
>>
>>        1.  You're telling me there's no way to do "reply with quote"
>>            in Notes?  No way to view raw headers or un-prettified
>> message?
>
> Isn't it grand?  Forget using it as a tool to participate in mailing lists.

You can get access to a bastadised (redundant, this is notes after all)
form of full headers by looking at the attributes of the email
'document'.  Most of the headers appear there as name-value pairs.

> It's actually a database pretending to be an e-mail client.  To be fair
> it does have it's good points in terms of workflow stuff but as an
> e-mail client it's a dismal failure.  I'm pretty sure this is mostly the
> client's fault rather than an inherent problem with Domino server... but
> I could be wrong

No it really dosn't manage many good points there either.  The server is
simply too unstable, and the Notes-API too convoluted to be suitable for
mission critical deployment.

>>            Anybody got any "making notes suck less" URLs?
>
> No... and I don't think you will find one 8^).  On the wonderful system
> that we have at work the admins have even disabled the "agents" that
> would let me do things like automatic mail sorting of all the automated
> emails I get from various machines around the place.  When I quizzed
> them on this I was told that it was too much load on the server if it's
> enabled.  We have 2 Notes servers, they are at least dual P4/1.something
> G machines with at least 1G of RAM each and server about 600 staff on a
> busy day...

Well I don't blame them.  I have seen an entire Notes installation
wedged solid after a seemingly valid call to the Notes API (ie. there
was no documentation saying "Do not call this object whilst in this
state").  The entire thing is a ten year old pile of accreted vomitus,
and the smell is as you would expect.

The only reasonable advice that can be offered is "Down not Across".

My Condolences.

Andrae

--
Andrae Muys                       But can it generate *quantum* Haiku
<andrae.muys at braintree.com.au>    error messages, in Latin, where each