[H-GEN] Web page creation on windows, serving on linux

Harry Phillips hphillips at myaccess.com.au
Thu Jul 17 22:11:11 EDT 2003

Greg Black wrote:

> On most systems, you then need to tell inetd that things have
> changed.  On most modern Unix systems with a modern /bin/sh, the
> following incantation, as root, will do it:
>
>     kill -1 $(cat /var/run/inetd.pid)
>
> I don't use xinetd[1], so I won't comment on that case.

When you use xinetd you edit the file /etc/xinetd.d/proftp-xinetd file
and there is no need for doing the kill -1... thingy.

The config files inthe xinetd.d directory are pretty simple to work out.
They have lines such as:

disable = yes

Not surprisingly all you need to do is change that to 'no' and then ftp
to your box. The only gotcha I have encountered is the config file had
two lines with 'disable ='. I changed one and didn't notice the other
was still set to 'yes'.

--
Regards
Harry