[H-GEN] vnc ports? - FIXED

David davido at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 19 23:22:18 EDT 2003

 El Lun 16 Jun 2003 11:30 PM, Michael Anthon escribió:

> David wrote:
>   > I don't suppose there's a way I can test it from home. e.g. use ssh
>
> on the
>
> > Linux box here to test if it works. I mean, I can vnc direct to the win2K
> > machine ok, but rather than waiting until I get to the office tomorrow
> > and trying it, I won't know if it's working. When I log on to the router
> > I can open port 5900 but it gives me TCP and UDP options and I don't know
> > which is correct.
> >
> > I did ssh <ipaddress> and it returned connection refused.
> > ssh //<ipaddress> returns name or service not known.
>
> VNC uses TCP.
>
> It would be possible to test it if you could get remote shell access
> (most likely using ssh) to the linux machine at your work.  You could
> then tunnel the VNC connection from home to work, then tunnel it back
> again to test it.  When you say "use ssh on the Linux box here" I'm
> assuming you mean you have a linux machine at home as well?  Something
> along the lines of the following
> 	ssh user at work.linux.machine -g -R 5900:home.win2k.machine:5900
> -L5900:localhost:5900
> would create a tunnel from port 5900 on the work machine to port 5900 on
> your home windows box (if you don't have a local linux machine the same
> effect can be achieved using putty), it will also create a tunnel from
> the local port 5900 on the local linux machine to port 5900 on the work
> linux machine.  Connecting a VNC client to home.linux.machine or
> home.linux.machine:0 should then be connecting via this double tunnel
> back to your win2k machine (:0 being display 0 or port 5900 (the default)
>
> I'm not sure if that makes sense to you, just ask for clarificaiton if
> it doesn't.  You would also need remote ssh access to your work machione
> from your home address.
>
> Cheers Michael

It's been a little while since I started getting all this together, and with a
few off-tracks into other areas (including playing with video drivers and
killing my X-Server  :-\ ) I can happily say I can now vnc/ssh/putty between
most of my home machines and the linux machine running in vmware on my office
2000Pro machine.

thanks to all for all the help.
David

--
Bolub's Fourth Law of Computerdom:
        Project teams detest weekly progress reporting because it so vividly