[H-GEN] Web page creation on windows, serving on linux

Andrae Muys andrae.muys at braintree.com.au
Thu Jul 17 20:38:48 EDT 2003

Jason Rees wrote:
> I also use Dreamweaver and Apache on Linux and find FTP to be the easist.
> You may find that the FTP server on the Linux machine is already installed.
> Try setting up the FTP transfer in Dreamweaver and see if it works.

Note that although an ftp daemon is normally installed with most
distributions, most now disable it by default.  Different distributions
have different GUI frontends to do this, but at the end of the day it
comes down to one of two files depending on which version of inetd you
have installed.

If you are using the older inetd there should be a line in
/etc/inetd.conf that looks something like

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd

If it has a # in front of it, it is commented out and the service is
disabled.  Remove the # to enable, replace the # to disable.

If you are using the newer xinetd there should be a file in
/etc/xinetd.d/, on a redhat box I have access to here at work it is
/etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd.

The file looks something like

service ftp
{
	disable = yes
	socket_type = stream
	wait = no
	user = root
	...etc etc etc
}

To enable the service set disable = no.  To disable reset to = yes ;).

If anyone is interested in more info, or wondering how they might have
worked this out without access to help:

Section 5.8 of the Net-HOWTO is "Configuring your network servers and
services" which discusses /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf.
(Unfortunately not updated to cover xinetd).  inetd/inetd.conf and
xinetd/xinetd.conf are covered in their appropriate man-pages, although
the format of the latter is rather self explainatory.  The man page
however does discuss other options you might use and is a worth while read.

Andrae Muys

--
Andrae Muys                       But can it generate *quantum* Haiku
<andrae.muys at braintree.com.au>    error messages, in Latin, where each