[H-GEN] Help - lost my X-server

David davido at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 13 08:53:08 EDT 2003

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:14, David wrote:
> > Sorry about the vagaries (and the long post). Is there some
> default config
> > or fix that I can apply to get me back to an operational X server?
>
> You could ran xf86config, which is a command line X configuration
> tool. This
> should get you back to a working X server.
>
> Cheers
>
> Johannes

Call me blind or something, but I can't find this. Is there a typical dir
where it normally lives? I did find /etc -name 'xf86Config' and also in /usr
with a couple of variations but nothing turned up.

I did use xfdrake (I think that's right) but the options available (which
card, resolution, etc.), didn't look encouraging. There was a huge list of
monitors to choose from and I tried a couple of typical ones, but got the
same message: "There appears to be an error. Try changing something". Not
that helpful... Maybe I just need to be more persistent?

thanks for your time.
David