[H-GEN] Debian X files

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 10 04:40:53 EDT 2003

Christopher Biggs wrote:

> needing to suck the whole enchilada off the net, or feeding in the 703
> CDs of the full debian crawling horror from the pit.   (I love debian,
> but there's such a thing as TOO many badly-documented obscure
> packages).

I've only ever needed cd2 for one package (I forget what it was, but it
was probably some obscure mysql package while we were playing with it a
few weeks ago) and never needed cd3.

I find that CD1 is all I ever need for a decent installation.
Occasionally things cannot be found on the cd, but it's quite rare. Our
stable install on the server only ever asks for the CD 1 (and yes we
have http sources but they're yet to be required).

The x-window-system is a good idea, and yeah there's a few hiccups with
installing X ..... or at least there used to be. A recent installation
of 3.0r1 I did installed all the required files in the first instance. I
didn't have to race around trying to find packages I needed that hadn't
been installed. (Like for instance, the X-Server.)

Sandra.
silne at optusnet.com.au
  "After The Matrix, I cannot wear sunglasses.
  As soon as I put them on, people recognise me."
    -- Carrie-Anne Moss (Trinity)
JabberID: silne at jabber.org