[H-GEN] Apache segfaulting... how to debug

David Jericho davidj at pisoftware.com
Thu Jul 10 00:33:18 EDT 2003

> > I'm starting to think that this is perhaps a fault in the Oracle libs
> > that the php4 oci8 module is linked against.

You did remember to start up the Apache with the environment variables
still set?

The only way I ever got it to work was to edit the apache startup script
and set the environment explicitly before I started the daemon.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 01:56:07PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> [1] Here are some quotes that I trot out when people want to
>     promote threads.  They're stolen from various mailing lists
>     that I read and seem to be on the money from where I stand:

Heh :)

Mental note, don't ask Greg's opinion on how Java handles things[1]...

>     * Programs using multithreading "for good performance" are
>       almost always broken by design and should be discarded
>       immediately.

I don't agree, but then again, I'm thinking multiprocessor machines. I
guess it all comes down to what exactly you define as a "thread of
execution".

>     * Perhaps Alan Cox said it best: "Computers are state
>       machines.  Threads are for people who can't program state
>       machines."

But we all know Alan stole SMP from SCO, so we can't trust him ;)

[1] I am not a Java fan, but at the same time I don't violently dislike
    it. Processors and memory capacities have moved forward enough that
    for most things I've seen Java used for, the old "it's slow"
    comments don't really apply.[2]
[2] Yes I know Plugged In's flagship product is written in Java, but I'm
    not speaking for Plugged In, and in anycase, it seems to run really
    quite fast. It works well, I move on and drink a nice coffee instead :)

--
David Jericho
Systems Administrator, Plugged In Software