[H-GEN] Load balancing

David Jericho davidj at pisoftware.com
Tue Jul 8 22:11:57 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:38:35PM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> I really fail to see why you disagreed with my point that "Incoming return
> packets need not travel anything like the path the original outgoing
> packets took." since the modern Internet is far to complex in its routing
> to be able to draw any other conclusion.

In the theory, you're 100% right, there is no reason why it can't be done,
and I wasn't disagreeing with you there.  In a perfect world, it'd be the
case, because everyone would do everything properly and for maximal
group benefit.

In reality, admins upstream from you prevent you doing things that would
be quite acceptable in a perfect world.

My comment wasn't directed at the abilities of TCP/IP, but rather the
layer 8, 9 and 10 networking issues[1].

[1] Layers 8,9 and 10 in the OSI model are the political layers. Admin,
    manager, and company.

--
David Jericho
Systems Administrator, Plugged In Software