[H-GEN] Bigpond outgoing mail problems

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Tue Jul 8 22:04:24 EDT 2003

Robert Stuart wrote:

> No it shouldn't refuse the whole email because of one problem email addr.

It *shouldn't* but it does, that's the reason for my question.

> This is the best way to solve this problem.  Simply set your "smart"
> host (sendmail's way of saying send everything to this mailserver) to
> your ISP's smtp server.  Point your mail client (mozilla, lookout or
> whatever) to _your_ smtp server and away you go.  This will mean your
> local MTA can't possibly tell you that some address is invalid (unless
> its to be delivered locally), and simply pass it on to the 'smart' host
> (your ISP's smtp server).

So if I setup a Linux smtp server and configure Postfix to send all of
it's mail to BP's smtp server, then the Linux box *will* get the error
message from the BP server.

What will postfix do then:
1. Stop and not send the message at all like Outlook
2. Cull the problem address and try to send again automatically
3. Delay the sending until the BP server will accept the mail
4. Inform the user that it can't send it.

> Generally a mail server should only reject a message because of an
> incorrect address if it is the mx host for that address and can't
> deliver it.

Well the problem e-mail address yesterday was a bigpond address (amongst
~300 others), but it also happens for other addresses as well.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips