[H-GEN] Bigpond outgoing mail problems

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Tue Jul 8 20:03:35 EDT 2003

Tony Nugent wrote:
>>| Has anyone had experience with this problem? Has Bigpong[1] configured their
>>| mail server wrong?
>>
>>I think Bigpond has a limit to how much email you can send in one hit --
>>your 300-odd emails might be over that limit.  I believe this is to help
>>prevent SPAM.
>

> Yes, it's true... I had this issue hit me in the face last year when
> they "upgraded" their mail servers which were "now conforming to the
> latest rfc standards", which state a limit of 100 recpients per
> message.  (Sorry, I can't recall exactly which rfc, but it is a more
> recent one).

That doesn't apply to this client. I was there yesterday and even trying
to send an e-mail to a single address that had it's mailbox full gave an
error message dialog box instead of a return e-mail.

I thought it may have been the MS crapware of Outlook and Outlook
Express so I installed Mozilla, same thing, it gets an error message
instead of the bounce e-mail.

I have a mailbox that is a spam trap that has a limit of 2k. I sent an
e-mail to it and didn't get the same error, he did get a return mail
stating that the mailbox was full.

So my original question is still there, why am I getting a error message
on some problem addresses that stop the entire message going out and
other problem e-mail addresses allow the message to be sent to the other
recpients and return a 'mailbox full' e-mail?

Are Bogpond's[1] e-mail servers supposed to do that? Or should they just
accept the message, try and send it and return a 'mailbox full' e-mail.

> At home (with bigpong adsl) I post my outgoing email directly to the
> destination MX server rather than via bigpong's smtp relays.
> Recently this has started to bite me... I'm getting an increasing
> number of rejects because the telstra IP address I have been
> (dynamically) allocated was blacklisted, known to have belonged to
> an open relay at some point.  <sigh>  It's interesting that there
> were (still are?) threats to introduce an rfc to specifically ban
> telstra (along with a small number of other large ISPs) because
> their IPs have been known to be sources of much spam abuse.

I had that same problem. Some mail servers refuse to accept mail
directly from *any* block of dynamiclly assigned IP addresses. That's
why I always setup postfix to forward the mail to the ISP's SMTP server.
That then begs the question, if I did setup a Linux
gateway/firewall/smtp relay would it receive the same refusal to accept
the mail because of 1 problem e-mail address? My guess is that it would.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips

[1] Another deliberate spelling.