[H-GEN] Re: Video Editing and Conversion

Christopher Biggs listjunkie at pobox.com
Sun Jul 6 07:45:39 EDT 2003

Sandra Milne <silne at optusnet.com.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> Christopher Biggs wrote:
>> Anyway, reverting to my CLI bias, if you want VCD output from avi
>> files there's a shell script in the mplayer tarball called "mencvcd"
>> which makes avi-to-vcd as simple as "mencvcd foo foo.avi".
>
> Thanks for the heads up on that. I've not used the tarball, instead I
> use the french apt source to get pre-compiled binaries.

You mean Christian Marillat's debian server for video tools?   Yeah, I
use that too.

The vcd script is in the doc directory for mplayer.

| chris at gomiyama: (8) You are in ~
| So what are you going to DO about it? >dpkg -L mplayer-686 | grep vcd
| /usr/share/doc/mplayer-686/examples/mencvcd.gz

> I suspected
> that mencoder might be able to do it, but the 'help' isn't very
> helpful and appears to suggest you can only convert the other way
> around.

I have spent many hours lost in the maze of twisty little passages
that is the documentation for mplayer.  And mplayer is WELL documented
compared to some of the alternatives.  And^2 I *still* didn't find
mencvcd until I did a google search for something to do what that
script does...

--cjb