[H-GEN] Mega documentation and distro server. Was: Idea for journalling filesystems

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 3 01:25:55 EDT 2003

 --- Michael Anthon <michael at anthon.net> wrote:

http://www.umart.com.au/phtml/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=38&&bid=2&sid=4616

> It's a bit on the dear side compared to generic power supplies, but it's
> VERY quiet.

I'll second that, and throw more fuel on this fire.  I recently bought
that, or a very similar model, for my Mega distro / doc server.  Now the
bulk of noise from my computer is from the HDs.  It also does a very good
job of cooling things down with that second fan.  My CPU now runs twenty
degrees cooler.

Only one problem, my BIOS can measure and display its fan speed (not sure
which of the two fans it is measuring though), lm_sensors detects that
there is a power supply fan, but lm_sensors always displays a fan speed of
0 for it.  This would not actually be a problem of the power supply, just a
problem with lm_sensors.

Some have commented that there is too much heat coming from my power supply
fans, that it is not good for the power supply.  First, this particular
power supply is designed to sit at the top of a full tower server full of
hard drives, CPUs, and RAM to suck out a lot of heat.  The designers put
that second fan in just for that purpose.  So it would be foolish of them
to then design the rest of the power supply to not handle the heat.
Second, it is 420W, my system was quite happy with it's previous 230W
supply, so I'm not really stressing it much.

If you can't stand the heat, get out from behind my 'puter B-).