[H-GEN] Re: Humbug Cluster

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 30 23:34:32 EST 2003

 --- Andrew Pullin <andrew at hotspurbgc.com.au> wrote:

<Major snips for brevity>

I like this arrangement much better, sounds like a good plan to me.

>     The other major idea in this concept is to dismantle and set up the
> cluster during the week and hang it off the Net so that the group could
> access the cluster during the week.

While I currently have very limited net access outside of meetings, maybe I
can convince my mate Alex to help here.

>     The major problem for this of course is someone who can become
> custodian of the equipment and lug it around everywhere and set it up.

While I cannot lug equipment around, I am at the meetings from first until
last, so if someone else can do the lugging, I can do the setup.  I'm
thinking that keeping it with Hydra may be good.

>     I think that this solution is best over playing with the Club file
> server as was suggested (by all means make the software available), but
> since the Clustering group has little or no experience, does the rest of
> the club want to risk breaking the file server at club meetings while the
> rest of us play?

Not sure if you are referring to my offered server here, but I will
clarify.  Mine is not the club server, just a file server I make available
at meetings in an effort to cut down on our UQ bandwidth usage.  I offer to
set aside space on my file server partition for whatever files are needed.
I can setup accounts for people to dump files relating to the project and
anything else that is needed.  It won't be part of the cluster, except as a
file server, so no fear of the cluster breaking anything on my server.

As anybody that knew me when I was on BigPond cable can tell you, I am
always quite willing (and able) to setup needed services on my server, and
run them well.  My server is currently under utilised at meetings, and I
would like to do something about it, hence the two game servers I mentioned
in other messages, the file and web servers, the DICT, Jabber, and X
servers.

> My offer of coordinating the SIG is still on the table, so feel free to
> post to the list and continue the discussion.

You got my vote B-).

Personally, I would lopportunityurtunity to develop the distributed
computing parts of my matrix-DFS project.

- What's on at your local cinema?