[H-GEN] Video Capture under your choice of Unix.

David Jericho david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au
Sun Jan 26 19:52:27 EST 2003

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 11:45:34PM +0100, Bruce Campbell wrote:
> What would people use to capture quality video (not just frames) under
> their preferred varient of Unix? [1]

Well, while not my preferred variant (although, one of the better
ones), I have most recently used my Indy with its VINO hardware.

Much easier and less hassle to use than most PC solutions I've had the
misfortune of playing with.

Quality on the composite and svideo inputs it surprisingly good.

The nicest card I've ever had the fortune to use on a regular basis
unfortunately had the annoying "feature" of only working under Adobe
Premier. Pinnacle Systems DV500, no Linux drivers, and the vendor
won't release any interface specs. It also managed very nice realtime
MPEG compression, with the most CPU usage being the PCI streaming.

> Bonus marks for mentioning the Osprey 220 (viewcast.com), which happens to
> be the video capture card that I'm using[2], and extra marks for anything
> which produces acceptable QuickTime.

The standard IRIX video capture stuff will produce QuickTime, as well
as MPEG.

Out of curiosity, what model do you have, and where did you buy it?
The Osprey stuff looks to be good quality.

> [2] NT is annoying for remote-controlling of encoding servers.

I dunno. SQLSlammer does a pretty good job of it ;)

--
David Jericho
Senior Systems Administrator, Bytecomm Pty Ltd

--
Scanned and found clear of viruses by EntireScan.  http://www.entirescan.com/