[H-GEN] remote backup of server

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 28 16:02:31 EST 2003

At 12:05 28/01/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Which files are being reported as "in use"?  Are you sure they're
>vital to backing up a router?  I know that if the machine was only
>doing routing I would be half-inclined to not back it up at all,
>except for maybe /etc (I'm assuming this is in a home environment) and
>a list of installed packages.

It's a whole bunch of directories under /etc which was the only thing i was
going to backup other than /home. I really wanted the conf files as I've
spent quite some time tuning the system and didnt't want to lose some of
the files.

>Are the same files unable to be backed up over and over?  Or is it
>just a once-in-a-while thing which perhaps you could either (a) be
>careful and make backups when the machine is more idle or (b) not
>worry about not having some non-essential files backed up at all?

The problem is, pscp.exe bombs out if it reaches a file it can't copy. Is
this true for the linux variant? (been a while since I played with that).

>If they're logfiles you might want to look into nominating a host on
>the inside of the network to act as a logging host instead, so you
>won't have any logs local to the router.

nah I'm not big with the log files. I occasionaly use them but they're not
useful to me unless there's a problem.

>If they're other, important data files (say MySQL databases or
>something), why are they on the router in the first place?  Should
>they really be there?

Internally, the same computer currently runs as a testing machine. (Soon to
be remedied.)

Sandra.

silne at optusnet.com.au
http://members.optushome.com.au/silne
"[The Starships Enterprise] are like bra sizes; when you go up a letter
they get
bigger and more impressive."
             -- Kewl Quote from Slashdot Post.