[H-GEN] Win XP roaming profiles with Linux?

David Duffy david at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Sun Jan 19 02:02:56 EST 2003

> > > You should be able to use XP with samba - you should be able to see and
> > > connect to shares (you might need to apply a registry hack or two
> > > signorseal etc).  Being part of a windows domain is really an central
> > > authentication issue; you can still connect to other windows and samba
> > > servers without joining a domain; you just lose out on roaming profiles,
> > > logon scripts and central authenticationn.

Rick:
>I use Samba at work and it is quite easy to set up (with the usual small
>learning curve)

I've had Samba running with Win98 for a couple of years now and with XP
for about 6 months with a little help from Mark Suter. (Thanks Mark)

>The /etc/smb.conf file on most distros is very well commented.  From the
>little that I know, you will need to run your roaming profiles from the
>Samba Server.  The following is a little relevant snippet from the
>smb.conf itself.
>
>Hope it helps -
>
># Where to store roaming profiles for WinNT and Win2k
>#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
>#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
>;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

I've done this. What I don't understand is how Windows knows *where*
to logon to. From what other have said, XP Home can't be told this!
I don't even understand *why* the Windows machine needs to "logon".
Couldn't it just be given the (UNC) directory of where the profile can be
read from and written to, or is that too simplistic? I'm really in the dark
when it comes to this. I learn as I need to and when it comes to Linux,
I haven't needed to, until now! There's just not enough hours in the day
to run a business and know everything about everything. :-)
David...