[H-GEN] Win XP roaming profiles with Linux?

David Duffy david at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Sat Jan 18 19:21:35 EST 2003

Hilton:
>I agree with using Win 2k for testing here, but disagree totally that
>you have "been let down by old MS" - after all, you ar eplainly told
>that Windows XP Home cannot log in to a domain - even its product name
>indicates that it is a Home User operating system, not a business OS.

OK, looks like I'm screwed - I only have Windows XP Home installed and
I'm not about to go out and buy 3 XP Professional licences at full price.

>As for Windows 98 and roaming profiles, this is just a kludge that
>Microsoft even supports it.  Win98 was never really designed for use on
>business networks either.

I'll have to tell Marvin (the office Linux box) not to talk to all those pesky
little Winows 98SE workstations I have in the office! :-)

>Samba can and will work well as a Domain Controller (PDC - or Primary
>Domain Controller) for your network.  The latest versions also provide
>this functionality for Windows XP Professional machines (earlier
>versions could not act as a domain controller for XP Pro clients).
>Nothing will act as a Domain Controller for Windows XP Home machines as
>this functionality has been removed from the operating system, along
>with a lot of the cost of XP Pro.

I wonder if there's another way to get XP Home to point to the Samba
machine just for the documents,etc? I somehow managed to get the
Win98SE office ones to use the 'documents' folder on my Linux box
there. But then, XP as you say handles it all quite differently.
David...