[H-GEN] Win XP roaming profiles with Linux?

Hilton Travis Hilton at QuarkAV.com
Sun Jan 19 17:41:44 EST 2003

Hi Robert,

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 10:07, R&J Stuart wrote:
> Hilton Travis wrote:
> > I agree with using Win 2k for testing here, but disagree totally that
> > you have "been let down by old MS" - after all, you ar eplainly told
> > that Windows XP Home cannot log in to a domain - even its product name
> > indicates that it is a Home User operating system, not a business OS.
>
> Ah, what features make a business OS?  What makes a home OS?  Is it OK
> for the vendor to drop (worse, cripple) key features from an OS to make
> a home edition?  It makes you wonder what else they may have
> removed/crippled; do you get any features in return aside from reduced
> cost?

If you do not understand the differences between Windows XP Home and
Windows XP Pro in a business environment, I suggest you take a look at
the link that David Duffy posted to this list -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/overviews/xpindomain.asp - as it gives a good overview.  Microsoft also has some other information here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp which outlines some of the differences in the targets of the two Operating Systems.

> I'm not saying that joining a network should be required for XP, but
> that it seems silly to completely remove it.  And no, it doesn't compare
> to say RH selling server versions vs personal versions, they don't
> cripple the SW by doing that.

Silly or not, Microsoft chose to do this, and they make it quite obvious
about the targets for their two Operating Systems (XP Home and XP
Professional).  RedHat includes extra functionality in their Server OS,
but Microsoft removes core functionality to make their Home OS.  Its a
choice they made, and they market them appropriately.  Both companies
do, that is.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV.com
Manager                         Phone: +61-(0)7-3343-3889
Quark AudioVisual               Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
Quark Computers
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/