[H-GEN] Win XP roaming profiles with Linux?

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jan 18 19:41:50 EST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:07, R&J Stuart shared the following ideas:

> I'm not saying that joining a network should be required for XP, but
> that it seems silly to completely remove it.  And no, it doesn't compare
> to say RH selling server versions vs personal versions, they don't
> cripple the SW by doing that.

Networking is still there, however it's setup by use of a wizard. In fact,
most things are setup by using a wizard in Windows XP Home. It's been 'dumbed
down' for the home user. In some cases this is good, as it allows less
knowledgable users to take a bit of control, however I've not heard of a way
to turn this 'feature' off, so it ends up being a bit condescending for power
users. I think it's rather unfair to have around $200 price difference
between knowing how to setup your own machine and relying on the wizards to
ask you all the right questions.

And yes, no other operating system I've seen does this, although I've heard
some interesting things about Libranet.

Sandra.
silne at optusnet.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/silne/