[H-GEN] Resizing partitions

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Thu Jan 16 17:38:57 EST 2003

On Thu Jan 16 2003 at 19:52, Steven McIntyre wrote:

>   I'll do a test run later, but as far as I'm aware
> Partition Magic 7.0 Pro will allow you to resize ext2/ext3
> partitions.

There was a thread in this mailing list only recently about doing
this sort of thing.  (Is there an archive kept anywhere?)

parted/partimage (open source, included with most linux distros)
will also do what is wanted in a similar fashion to partition magic
and norton's ghost.  There are also some relevant HOWTOs to be found
at http://www.tldp.org/ that may be useful.

BTW, someone recently mentioned using a bootable linux-on-a-cd
distro...

  I recently came across KNOPPIX (which is based on mandrake/kde)
  and I was _very_ impressed with it.  I got it from a recent DVD
  edition of Linux Format (a UK-based mag) and it was fairly trivial
  to reburn it onto a 650Mb cdrom.  It uses a compressed filesystem
  and claims to have the equivalent of around 2Gb of files packed
  onto a single disc.

  Despite running mostly from dvd/cdrom, it was easily fast enough
  to be quite useable.  It dynamically allocated ~600Mb to a
  ramdrive (from my 1Gb ram, less on a box with 256Mb), and it found
  and by default used the linux swap partitions on the local HDDs.
  (It has lots of bootup options to configure its runtime
  behaviour).

  It is very functional, with drivers and utilities to use all my
  hardware, including sound cards, 3d video cards (voodoo3, TNT,
  geforce4/440), ide and scsi cdrom burners, usb devices, and
  tv/radio tuner.  It certainly has a lot packed into it, including
  lots of useful rescue tools, games and so on.  Network-ready with
  a dhcpd server available.  You can hardly notice that it isn't a
  full-blown installation running from a hard drive.  Impressive.

> It just happens I've got an old redhat install to blowaway, so
> I'll know in a few hours...

:-)  It so happens that I'm about to spend the day (and probably
some of the weekend too) radically reorganising several hard drives
in three boxes (which also include some bootable windows FAT
partitions) so that I can eventually boot any of them into windows
(w98 and/or w3k) and several different flavours of linux (rh7.3,
rh8.0, mandrake, suse and debian).  Fun times ahead...  :)

>   Steven McIntyre
>   stev at uq.net.au

Cheers
Tony