[H-GEN] MYSQL commands via MSAccess?

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Tue Jan 14 22:34:27 EST 2003

> I haven't used MSAccess with a server for a few years, so bear with me...
>
> I recall that there's a mechanism for doing a "direct" call on an ODBC
> object, though I can't remember the syntax (I last did this in '99).
> Something like
>   connection.Execute "DELETE FROM TEST",,,odbcDirect
Or you can create a query using the pointy-clicky bits and then go
"Query/SQL Specific/Passthrough" (again using the pointy-clicky bits) and
you have a place where you can type mysql commands directly.
Ho quickly you forget things Paul !

> In fact, it doesn't hurt to get familiar with doing direct calls on ODBC
> connections.  MSAccess has a bad habit of trying to work out what you
> meant and attempting it on it's own.  This often involves downloading
> entire tables and performing joins locally, etc (I've seen it pull down
> tables of over 100,000 rows just to inner join to a table of a dozen rows.
> A "normal" call took over 20 minutes, while a direct call took 1 or 2
> seconds).  If you have an SQL database on a server, then you almost never
> want to perform queries locally.  Instead, just use MSAccess for your GUI,
> and do everything else with SQL sent over ODBC-direct calls.

Ahhhh... and guess what I was working on this morning Paul?  And it's still
just as bad as it ever was.

Cheers
Michael