[H-GEN] Mozilla and Compress

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Sun Jan 12 21:42:55 EST 2003

john duncan <agley at optusnet.com.au> writes:

>                 I was trying to download a file compressed with the old
>       compress program from
>       http://www.paulgraham.com/lib/paulgraham/onlisp.ps.Z
>       and found that Mozilla from Debian Woody could not get it. It
>       would only say it did but got a zero byte file.

Interesting; I think I see a redirect to somewhere at Yahoo, and then
I see a dialog box:

        /tmp/e5e3nfgk.ps could not be saved, because the source file
        could not be read.

        Try again later, or contact the server administrator.    [OK]

When I try to fetch the file with wget:

$ wget http://www.paulgraham.com/lib/paulgraham/onlisp.ps.Z
--21:40:43--  http://www.paulgraham.com/lib/paulgraham/onlisp.ps.Z
           => `onlisp.ps.Z'
Resolving www.paulgraham.com... done.
Connecting to www.paulgraham.com[216.136.224.156]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/paulgraham/onlisp.ps.Z [following]
--21:40:44--  http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/paulgraham/onlisp.ps.Z
           => `onlisp.ps.Z'
Resolving lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com... done.
Connecting to lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com[66.163.174.50]:80... connected.
Length: unspecified [application/postscript]

    [                                <=>  ] 77,285         2.54K/s

The progress bar above is a strange looking thing; the little
spaceship moves left to right and back again; perhaps the file is
being sent back to the browser by some strange method---streaming or
something?  I don't know.

>                 Could someone else interested in Lisp who has Mozilla
>       try to get the file please ?

I'm kind of interested to see what the paper is about now.

jason
--
``I may have agreed to something involving a goat.''  -- CJ