[H-GEN] oops - debian unstable woes

Marco Grigull kni501ss at optushome.com.au
Fri Jan 3 23:34:29 EST 2003

On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 15:05:32 +1000
Sandra Milne <silne at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Fiance installed debian last night. Got it all working exactly as he wanted
> it, but for zangband which wants gcc3.2 to compile. So, because gcc3.2 is
> in unstable, he did a dist-upgrade. X-Windows has not worked since. He just
> gets a black screen and the monitor switches to stand-by -- no signal.

Did the x-window system update aswell?
What does /var/log/Xfree86.0.log have to say (look for EE)

> We got into single user mode and removed gdm and kdm from startup, so that
> he can boot to a console. That's all fine and good, it boots ok. We had
> suspected a problem with gdm/kdm but when launching startx from the console
> the same thing happens.

does crtl-alt-F1 switch back to the console?

> Nvidia GeForce 2MX400 using the Geforce driver for xfree86 v4. (I think
> this is nv). The thing is, it worked fine until X was restarted after the
> upgrade. We re-ran xf86config and set it all up again, but still no joy.

i generally go with:
X -configure
test that (it tells you how to) and merge it to the real file by hand, so I can
 see what changed.

> Has anyone experienced this? Brendan doesn't want to go through and setup
> debian all over again now that he's got all his settings just how he likes
> them. Is there an easy way to roll-back to stable? Or is this a known issue
> that will be resolved in a couple of days and he can just sit tight and
> wait for the update?

you can force apt to downgrade, I think it goes like this:
apt-get install xfree86-xserver/stable
or something like that

If you are going to use the nvidia driver, the kernel modules must match the kernel
 they are built for, and the GL/X module aginst the kernal modules and the xserver
 (well, that has been my experience anyway)

cheers
Marco