[H-GEN] LDAP mystery error

Sarah Hollings sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au
Fri Feb 28 03:05:46 EST 2003

Mark Corben wrote:

> I tried adding  the -x but now get the error:
>        ldap_bind: Invalid credentials

I usually use -W (rather than -w <password>) so the password doesn't
appear in the process list (albeit for a few seconds) and so I don't get
the wrong password by just recalling history.

Check your slapd.conf - is the "rootpw" entry the same as your value in
the -w switch?  Is it commented out?  Is the value in the "rootdn" entry
the same as in your -D switch?

If you've compiled a slapd and tools after running a packaged one (or
vice-versa) are you sure that the slapd.conf file being used is the one
you expect? (compile default is /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf not
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf)

If yes, try restarting your slapd just to be sure.  If it still fails,
chances are you've changed the password for the root user in the actual
LDAP database itself, eg using ldappasswd.

If this is the case, and you don't know what that password is, you may
have to stop slapd, blow away your databases (dump them out to LDIF
first if possible/needed) and restart so the password is as per slapd.conf.

Debugging with something like

    /usr/sbin/slapd -d 255 -h ldap:///

will help if you've got some other issue not resolved above.

> Bradley Marshall wrote:
>
>> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>> [ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]
>>
>> On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Mark Corben wrote:
>>

>>> When I run the command :
>>>                        ldapadd -D "cn=Manager, o=testnet.de" -w secret
>>> < /etc/openldap/ldif/datenbank.ldif"
>>>
>>> I get the following error:
>>>                        ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute
>>>

>> By default, the later versions of OpenLDAP use SASL authentication.
>> For now, try adding the -x flag to your ldapadd command line.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brad
>>         +=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
>>         | Bradley Marshall    | http://www.uq.net.au/~zzbramar |
>>         | System/Network Admin|      brad at humbug.org.au        |
>>         | Plugged In Software |    bmarshal at pisoftware.com     |
>>      +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
>> ``I'm not ashamed.  Its the computer age.  Nerds are in.'' - Willow
>> (BtVS)
>>

>> --
>> * This is list (humbug) general handled by
>> majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
>> * Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
>> * lists 'general' or 'general-post'.  See http://www.humbug.org.au/
>>

> --
> * This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
> * Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
> * lists 'general' or 'general-post'.  See http://www.humbug.org.au/

--
Sarah Hollings                     IT Manager
sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au       The ARC Key Centre