[H-GEN] redhat 8.0 gnome and now can't login in

Johann johann at spot-the-dog.com
Wed Feb 26 07:27:31 EST 2003

Hi All,
        I finally have email, my ADSL is with TPG and apparently some
kind soul at 11 this morning decided to dig through TPG's cable. Anyway,
I was playing around with xhosts because I thought it did a little more
that just allow connections for remote hosts, but I know I was barking
up the wrong tree there. I thought my problem was related to either dns
or an authorization issue (hence I thought xhost might be involved). I
later discovered that gnome was in fact loading but that is was just
taking a very long time. I also traced back my steps and ended up
looking at the iptables rules that I'd been setting, and once I disabled
iptables, bingo, everything worked fine.

I sent some emails earlier, they may or may not arrive : )

Thanks for the replies.

Joel Michael wrote:

>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]
>
>On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 10:22, Robert Kearey wrote:
>

>>Yep, sounds like what I've described above -  a classic
>>fiddle-break-aiiee-thrash-breaksomemore-ohgod-splat scenario.
>>

>However, I've found these scenarios quite invaluable for learning how
>stuff works, especially when you take the time to find out what has
>happened and how to fix it (like Johann is doing).  If possible, try not
>to take the easy way out and re-install the system - that teaches you
>nothing.
>
>It's how I learnt Linux, among other things.  You eventually learn what
>does what, and how, and where to look when it breaks.

I agree with this. I could have saved myself many, many hours by
re-installing, but I don't believe this is the way to learn things. I
will always try and solve the problem over re-installing unless I'm
really against the clock.

Sorry for the lack of details in my orginal post, I assumed the details
I left out where not necessarily relevant,

thanks

Johann