[H-GEN] Exploding capacitors - a cautionary tale from the IEEE

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Thu Feb 20 19:39:49 EST 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 12:20:00AM +1000, Greg Black wrote:

> This story about dodgy capacitors used in many PC motherboards
> might be of interest to people who have purchased machines in
> the past couple of years:
>
>     http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

When one and a half weeks ago I was called saying that "the server
didn't work anymore and it smells funny". It were indeed the
capacitors which were producing the smoke (and the funny bubbling).

Of course there is no way it can be tracked properly, but the
symptons are similair. At least we have now a fast server again!

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin at mavetju.org    |    Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/weblog.php