[H-GEN] Strangeness with POP3 - Supplementry

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Tue Feb 18 02:20:55 EST 2003

Tried to telnet to the popd port while watching the logs.  (Transcript of
telnet session below, as well as relevant lines from /var/log/secure.)  It
seems the issue is something to do with attempting to authenticate against
the Windows domain controller.  This is not something I expected at all !

Samba on the same box is configured to use the Windows DC for authentication
via winbind, so it seems all authentication uses the same mechanism.  I'm not
yet sure if this is a good thing or not a good thing.  :-(

I need to look into this, and learn about the use (and abuse) of pluggable
authentication modules and winbind.

[ewane at zircon ewane]$ telnet mail 110
Trying 172.30.44.22...
Connected to mail (172.30.44.22).
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK POP3 mail v2001.78rh server ready
user test
+OK User name accepted, password please
pass test
-ERR Bad login

quit
+OK Sayonara
Connection closed by foreign host.
[ewane at zircon ewane]$

/var/log/secure
Feb 18 16:51:05 mail xinetd[15629]: START: pop3 pid=19865 from=172.30.44.59
Feb 18 16:51:55 mail ipop3d[19865]: pam_smb: Incorrect NT password for
username : test
Feb 18 16:53:35 mail xinetd[15629]: EXIT: pop3 pid=19865 duration=150(sec)

--
Ewan Edwards BE MIEAust CPEng MCSE
MineStar Solutions
Ewan.Edwards at cat.com

Growing old may be mandatory, but growing up is still optional.
This message is for the intended addressee only and may contain
confidential information.  If you've received this message in
error then I've probably screwed up.  So I'm obliged to ask you
to please delete the message and notify me as soon as possible.

The contents of this message are probably my opinion only and
are most likely not endorsed by anyone, including the people
who payed me for the time spent writing it.