[H-GEN] Linux on an SGI Indy vs Linux on an SGI Indigo/Indigo2

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed Feb 12 09:42:24 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 12:06:10AM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
> 	We're currently looking at getting a Silicon Graphics system to do some
> development work on and was wondering which is better for running Linux,
> and what other people's experiences with these systems have been.

No experience, but a Debian mips hacker says:

   <neuro> indy and indigo2 are the same arch
   <neuro> so it's mostly identical
   <neuro> the original indigo isn't supported, i dun think

> 	We're currently looking at an Indigo2 as a small linux powerhouse, but
> we're not sure how well it will run Linux.  According to the Linux-MIPS
> homepage, there's no real support for the framebuffer devices in these
> systems.

   <aj> how about X support?
   <neuro> only for indys, really

HTH. FWIW. IANAMH.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''