[H-GEN] What have I installed?

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Tue Feb 11 02:06:19 EST 2003

Ewan Edwards <Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com> writes:

> [root at diamond dhcp-3.0.1rc11]# make -n install
> sysname=`./configure --print-sysname`; \

Okay, this is running the command "configure --print-sysname" and
saving its output in the variable called "sysname".  You can run the
command by yourself and see what the output is.

>  if [ ! -d work.$sysname ]; then \

The the program looks for a directory called "work.<something>", where
the "something" is the output of that command.  (The $foo syntax means
"substitute the value of the variable called `foo'".)

>    echo No build directory for $sysname - please run ./configure.; \
> else \
>    (cd work.$sysname; make install); \

Then it runs "make install" in that directory.

> fi
> [root at diamond dhcp-3.0.1rc11]#
> </snip>
>
> Looking at this output is starting to frazzle my poor brain,

You *could* try changing into that directory and running

        $ make -n install

but I fear that Greg is right and this will only drive you crazy.

> so my approach from here will be two pronged.  The first will be to
> look more closely at the source rpm suggestion.  The second will be
> to follow the concept of other suggestions and try crafting a
> special 'find' command to generate a list of likely candidate files.

I think this could be a good way to go.  Try looking at find's -newer
option; any file under /usr/local or other suspects that are newer
than, say, one of the source files, or configure.cache or something
are likely to be files installed by the makefile.

Again, this won't catch everything and you could have false positives,
too.
--
``I may have agreed to something involving a goat.''  -- CJ