[H-GEN] SMALL RPM PROBLEM

Rick Phillips rickp at sunstatestamps.com.au
Tue Feb 11 19:00:37 EST 2003

> Please explain - what architecture? What did you install?

I installed the "athlon" RPM instead of the i686/kernel 2.4.19-14 RPM

> "Words to the effect" doesn't mean much - what you probably did was
> something like this:
>

> rpm -e foo.i386.rpm
> error: package foo.i386.rpm is not installed

Yep, that's the message

> rpm -e foo is what you want.

So, what you are saying is I leave the architecture tag and "RPM" off the
command. [1]

> > "Ah, good, I say".  I then download the correct RPM and on
> attempting to
> > install the correct RPM, I get a few words that tell me
> that a newer version
> > of the RPM is already installed and it won't proceed.  I
> then get on a
> > treadmill where I can't uninstall because it is "not
> installed" and I can't
> > upgrade/relocate/force the correct version.
>
> See above. Read the fine manual :)

The "fine manual" is very cryptic (after synopsis there is not a lot other
than command line joggers) and at one in the morning patience was very thin.
However if you can confirm my question at [1], I will disappear into the
back stalls again where I lurk constantly.

Rick