[H-GEN] [Fwd: Managing Open-Source (From Business 2.0)]

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Tue Feb 11 21:13:08 EST 2003

Hi Jason,

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 14:01, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:
> > Some refer to open-source software as "free" software, which isn't quite
> > true.
>
> This is the point at which I stopped reading, since the article's
> author has obviously failed to do enough research to work out what
> Free Software really is.

Care to clarify that? Where does his article not sync from the Open
Source description on www.opensource.org ?
Me thinks you are arguing semantics, the "free as in speech" and "free
as in beer" thing? I think the author is quite right to explain this to
his readers in simple form, as many people think that the "free" is in
the "beer" context. You don't have to drag in the whole RMS story to
clarify the basics to PHBs.

Regards,
Arjen.
--