[H-GEN] CVS for /etc management

Russell Stuart russell at stuart.wattle.id.au
Mon Feb 10 15:56:45 EST 2003

Re Greg: "What other methods of config file control are there".  There
are several packages available that do this.  It is a common problem
many sys admins have, me being one of them.

At the 1000ft view of these packages is they provide a way of storing
the configurations of multiple machines in a single place, and they
provide a way of customising that configuration for different machines.
Although I have never done it myself, I am sure they would all allow you
to store that configuration files in CVS.

Here the ones I know of:
  http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai
  http://www.gnu.org/software/cfengine/cfengine.html
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemconfig

I know there are others as well - I have seen them but I can't remember
their names.  As you may of noticed they are not easy to find.  That is
my excuse anyway, as I missed them in my initial hunt, so I wrote my
own.  I think it is better than those listed above, but I could be
biased :).  If you want to know more send me an email, or catch up with
me at the next meeting and I will give you a demo.