[H-GEN] Retro-computing!

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Sun Feb 9 21:39:26 EST 2003

Christopher Biggs <chris at epipe.com.au> writes:

> Jason Parker-Burlingham <jasonp at uq.net.au> moved upon the face of
> the 'Net and spake thusly:
> > One of my latest projects is playing with the simh emulator,
> > particularly using it to play with a PDP-11, running Unix v7.
> > (The relevant files are available as the "simh" and "pdp11-unix-v7"
> > Debian packages.)
> Unix v7, eh?      Ever used Minix?   Last I heard it was now free.

Well, I just found out (from the Reg) that Solaris 9 is out for Intel,
and Sun says it's only twenty bucks (though the Register said it'd be
free).  If I had the space, time, money and hardware to run that, I
would.

But for the geek factor, v7 on a PDP pretty much beats all.

Unless I can find a TOPS-20 or ITS image.

> > However.  The disk image provided is just absolutely *tiny*.  10 megs
> > is a little skimpy, so I thought I'd like to have a few extra
> > "disks"
> #include <rants/old_fart.h>
> Jeez, I once had a *PC* with a 10MB hard drive.   (Admittedly, I only
> ever used it to hold the door open. :-)

I think the first PC I ever saw had a 20MB disk; it belonged to my
uncle and was a _serious_ computer and not fit for all the frivolous
things *we* wanted to use it for.

> Sorry Jason, can't help with the device naming, those neurons got
> recycled.

Yeah, no worries.

Maybe a dredge through the kernel sources will help.  (This is in fact
part of the problem, since one image has all the manpages but no
kernel sources, and the other, well, I'm sure you can guess.)
--
``I may have agreed to something involving a goat.''  -- CJ