[H-GEN] adsl help

David Duffy david at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Sat Feb 8 03:10:41 EST 2003

>On Sat Feb 08 2003 at 07:19, David Duffy wrote:
>
> > >Setting up and ADLS modem is just as easy. I use Roaring Penguin PPPoE
> > >(don't know who doesn't) on Mandrake 9.0 boxes.
> >
> > This is assuming a dynamic IP. If using a static IP ADSL connection,
> you don't
> > need any software. The modem appears as another direct IP address.
>
>Wow, that's interesting.  So then there's no "overhead" with packet
>sizes?  If so, then oh so sweet - a permanent IP is what I want!! :)
>
>In my experience using adsl (with pppoe and dynamic IP) there are
>some quirks to know about that involve having to do MSS clamping to
>limit the maxumim size of tcp packets.  It can sometimes be a real
>problem.

Robert Brockway had a lot of trouble setting up RH7.3 and PPPoE for a friend
of mine with their Telstra ADSL connection. In contrast, I had my Internode
one up & running in less than an hour even with a few stuff-ups on my part.
Don't get me wrong - the MSS issue was the real pain with the Telstra one -
nothing to do with what Robert had/hadn't done. I can't speak highly enough
of my ISP. (Internode)
David...