[H-GEN] X-Windows + Lycoris

Harry Phillips harry at 4ward.com.au
Thu Feb 6 07:33:26 EST 2003

> I have Lycoris on a single machine in my office for much the same
> reasons as
> you like it - it looks like Windows and it is easier to convince
> people they
> should try it.
>
> It is very "lite weight" as you have no doubt discovered in that there is
> not a lot of integrated supporting software.  Open Office has just been
> "Lycorised" and is available for download but at a price.

Yes it is a "lite" version of Linux. Paying for a "Lycorised" OpenOffice
defeats the purpose.

> > My question is how do I get XWindows on a Mandrake system to
> > look exactly like Lycoris?
>
> I think you would have to do what Lycoris have done - redesign KDE. [1]

If they did that then shouldn't the source code be available?

> > Is it just a theme?
> > Can I just copy over some icon and config files and hey
> > presto it's done?
> > Is it a bit more co-dependent on something else?
> > Where do I even start looking?
>
> See [1] above - I don't think there is anywhere to look.

Bugger, I hope you are wrong.

> > I believe that Lycoris uses KDE, how do I check? How do I check which
> > version of KDE it is?
>
> It does but has been "refaced" - see [1] above.

I did notice tonight when my test machine at home here started up it
indicated that it was KDE, however which version is still a mystery.

> No doubt it will develop in time to add software but AFAIK, it is based on
> Caldera so any Caldera RPM's or tar balls for that matter should
> install OK

Haven't used Caldera.

> but I haven't tried yet.  I know from experience that it does not like Red
> Hat RPM's.

Dam, I thought that using the RPM format would give some sort of uniformity,
you get any RPM and it installs on your RPM based system.

> The warning is that if you do install RPM's, they will probably look like
> KDE 3 programs and will not have the pretty skin that the Lycoris
> stuff has.

Would that just be a case of changing the icon used?

> As an aside though, I have had the pleasant experience of putting basic PC
> users on the Lycoris box and they were surprised when I told them
> it wasn't
> Windows XP.

Especially since by default they use a VERY similar background to the
default XP background. Blue sky, white clouds and very green grass. It even
has about the same ratio of sky/ground. Maybe it is the same hill from a
different angle :)

> They were able to email and browse which 90% of the
> home users
> just do anyway.

I found most home users also play games. Something Lycoris is very lacking,
I have even tried to get a 3D game on it yet, like Tux Racer (My 6 year old
just loves "the Duck Game")

> Hopefully, someone will tell me I am wrong about being able to "Lycoris"
> Mandrake as I am constantly pushing the Linux wheel barrow and it
> is so much
> easier when the offering looks something like what they are used to using.

I am hoping for the same thing, anyone?
---