[H-GEN] file recovery tools

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 31 06:30:19 EST 2003

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:01 am, Peter Arnold wrote:
> I came to the conclusion that powering off while saving was the problem
> after reading through the NG posts of similar problems. I'm now of the
> opinion I have a dodgey CF card as I've tried another card with taking both
> photos and movies and turning the camera off shortly after and during the
> take and cannot corrupt the card. So the camera does seem to perform as it
> should.

I let my brother in law use my Canon digital camera to photograph his new
Jaguar, and he managed to overheat it, which resulted in CF card damage that
wasn't fixed by reformatting.  Moral - if he can afford a new Jag, he can buy
his own damn digital camera.

When I powered off the camera before it had finished writing an image, I got a
fully functioning JPEG file that looked strange in one corner, but no card
corruption, not even file system corruption.

> Being a digital camera newbie, it hadn't occured to me there would be some
> appreciable delay between taking photo and saving to CF. Still, I agree
> with many of the previous comments that the camera software should have
> enough smarts to save before cutting power.

You are assuming that companies always make sure their designs are perfect
before selling them.  Wanna buy a bridge?