[H-GEN] C/C++ Reference Manual

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Tue Aug 26 03:46:52 EDT 2003

On 2003-08-26, Anthony Irwin wrote:

> I am looking for a good c/c++ reference

There is no such thing.  You need to find a C reference that
suits you if you want to do C; and you need to find a C++
reference that suits you if you want to indulge in the C++
perversion.

Both languages are the subject of ISO standards; and those are
the only reliable references, although a tiny subset of the
available books have some reference material that is usable.

For C, the canonical tutorial and reference is K&R2[1] and its
errata[2].  I have no opinions on C++ books, except that all the
ones I've read are pretty useless.

Cheers, Greg

[1] The C Programming Language, 2nd edition
    Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie
    Prentice Hall, 1988

[2] Errata for [1]:
    http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/2ediffs.html

--
Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> <http://www.gbch.net/gjb.html>
GPG signed mail preferred; further information in headers.