[H-GEN] no external media, how to boot?

David Jericho davidj at pisoftware.com
Sun Aug 24 18:55:49 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 05:30:23PM +1000, Sarah Hollings wrote:
> Running tcpdump on the server I saw an arp request going out from the
> server doing a who-has on 152.98.217.27, and no reply coming back.
>
> I tried "arp -s 152.98.217.27 ma:ca:dd:re:ss" but that didn't help.

This maybe a shot in the dark, but I have seen the same behaviour with
Linux being a boot server for SGI machines. It's an incomplete IP
stack that doesn't understand ip fragmentation, or the DF (don't
fragment) flag. The DF flag may have been set on the return packets.

To turn PMTU discovery off, use the below command on your boot server.

# sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc=1

I recommend you set it back to 0 once you have Debian installed on
your device.

--
David Jericho
Systems Administrator, Plugged In Software