[H-GEN] Debian install newbie

David Jericho davidj at pisoftware.com
Sun Aug 24 19:00:52 EDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 06:57:19PM +1000, David Duffy wrote:
> I've just installed Debian 3.0r1 after only ever being
> a Red Hat person and am a little confused on how to
> download the packages I require. When I did the install,
> I selected web server, etc but apache seems to not be
> installed at all. Using apt-get says that I need perl
> but again I thought I had selected it at installation.
> Is there something else I need to do to install those
> packages I thought I already did install?
> Confused...

To a Debian newbie, I'd highly recommend investigating one of the
alternate package UIs available. I have used aptitude in the past, and
found it to be rather friendly.

# apt-get install aptitude

and let it go off and do its thing. Merely run "aptitude" once it's
going. It solves the depdancy problem better that both dselect and
apt in my very humble opinion.

--
David Jericho
Systems Administrator, Plugged In Software