[H-GEN] Security and apathy - a cautionary tale

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat Aug 23 12:37:10 EDT 2003

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Greg Black wrote:

> This week's SAGE News Summary included a reminder about an
> interesting paper published last year about the level of apathy
> among sysadmins when it comes to installing security patches.
> Although it's about an event from back then, it's still worth
> reading:  http://www.rtfm.com/upgrade.html

I'm afriad I'm often amazed at the casual attitude many Sysadmins have to
both security and backups (here I include restore tests and DR).  Two of
the most important functions that the Sysadmin should be performing :)

I'm keen to see Sysadmin seen as a true profession both within and
without.  One of my main reasons is to encourage professionalism, such as
in these areas.  I think we're getting there, slowly :)

Here in North America Sysadmin is less developed as a distinct profession
than in Aus.  I attribute this to the work of Sage-Au.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net