[H-GEN] Sieve filters

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Wed Aug 20 22:41:25 EDT 2003

Sarah Walters wrote:

>>Does anyone have any experience using sieve filters? Any documentation?
>>any examples?
>

> Anyone running cyrus-imapd will have sieve installed. Here is a really
> basic example that does work, I used it while testing.
>
> <code>
> require "fileinto";
>
> if header :contains "Subject" "testing123" {
>         fileinto "INBOX.SPAM";
> }
> </code>
>
> In my case, this is a .sieve file in my homedirectory.
>
> More examples are here:
>
> http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/#scripts

That was the only place I found that had sieve example filters. Problem
is the rules given don't solve the 'Apply next rule to mail' and 'Keep a
copy in the INBOX' problem.

I have a catchall account. The Bynari server then collects that mail
(using fetchmail). I want the account it passes it to to do some
sorting. Easy enough, until you get a single piece of mail sent to two
(or more) addresses.

The first user it matches will get a copy the second user (and any
others) won't and none of it gets kept in the INBOX.

In procmail I would simply use rules such as:

:0c
* ^TO_user1@
! user1 at localhost

:0c
* ^TO_user2@
! user2 at localhost

If all the rules start with :0c
1. The mail will hit all the rules
2. All the users that it is addressed to will receive a copy, and
3. It will fall out bottom into the INBOX.

I have logged a ticket with Bynari asking them, surely they must know
what filter rules thier web form generator is attempting to produce (but
fails to).

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips