[H-GEN] root running x programs in Debian

Anthony Irwin anthonyi at toolboxsoftware.com.au
Wed Aug 20 03:16:59 EDT 2003

Hi,

I wanted to look at visual apt tools to see if it would make using Debian
easier for Windows users. I have install synamtic and gnome-apt, both of
these programs ask for a root password then exit with status code 1.

I am assuming this is because debian by default won't allow you to run x
programs as root. From memory there is something you need to add in the path
to allow root to run x programs but I can't remember what it is. I have done
some google searching but all I can find is warnings about not running your
system as root.

Any suggestions would be great.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin