[H-GEN] HUMBUG meetings and talks

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Wed Aug 20 02:27:12 EDT 2003

Hi Raymond,

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 15:59, Raymond Smith wrote:
> Sarah Walters said:
> > The earlier suggestion to hold it somewhere other than UQ makes sense.
>
> I agree. The IIB (http://www.iib.qld.gov.au/) offer a cheap/free meeting
> room to approved groups in Milton. There is even reasonable parking
> there now (in the form of a commercial parking garage).

Hmm I'll look at that. Interesting.

> > I still say one of the other existing groups would be a better host,
> > since I always saw HUMBUG  as more of a hobbyist group (after all,
> > it is HOME UNIX users).
>         ^^^^^^^^^
> And this is something we must not forget in all these musings.
>
> Personally, I would like to see AUUG take up this banner. [I am a
> member of AUUG.] They have a lot of the structures needed to support
> this kind of thing already in place. They are also a better brand
> for this sort of thing: AUUG has a more professional reputation and
> has been invited to give evidence to various government comittees and
> the like on Open Source.

Indeed.

> QAUUG seems pretty dead right now: but there is no reason why enthusastic
> people couldn't revive it. Alternatively, perhaps we could approach
> AUUG to organise these things as joint events. I spoke to the Secretary
> of AUUG at AOSS5 and he expressed interest in seeing AUUG and HUMBUG
> cooperate wherever possible. So this is entirely possible.

I'm already in contact with one non-silent QAUUG committee member, who
is indeed very much in favour of all this. So that probably takes care
of the "umbrella" ;-)

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Brisbane 3 November (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl