[H-GEN] Debian and Emacs

Anthony Irwin anthonyi at toolboxsoftware.com.au
Mon Aug 18 00:51:36 EDT 2003

Hi,

I ran apt-get install emacs21 on a Debian unstable machine. I am installing
the php-mode.el extenstion, the instructions say to put it in the emacs lisp
path but I don't know where that is. Also it says to add some lines into the
.emacs file but it doesn't exist on my system.

I have a .emacs.d directory and inside that I have a auto-save-list
directory but I have no .emacs file.

Is there a way I can auto generate a .emacs file with the default
information or could someone point me to the defaults for the file. Also how
can I find out where the emacs lisp path is.

I am a first time emacs user so if anyone knows of any good tutorials that
would be great, I started reading the built in tutorial and that has got me
started.

Any help with the above questions would be greatly apreciated.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin