[H-GEN] Problem with /etc/hosts on FreeBSD 5.1.???

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Aug 12 10:11:07 EDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 s4021760 at student.uq.edu.au wrote:

> Hi,
>   I just loaded freeBSD 5.1 and ran into some trouble....I have edited
> the /etc/hosts file to show the required name....but when I boot up the system
> hangs and gives the message "...My unspecified name is BLAA......Sleeping for
> retry" It comes out of this loop if I hit ^C. I have shutoff the name server

The first entry of the line in /etc/hosts that has the IP address for the
system should be an FQDN[1] rather than just a single hostname.  Eg:

192.168.10.1	myhost.foobar.com.au myhost

Rather than

192.168.10.1	myhost myhost.foobar.com.au

Worth checking.

Interestingly (but unrelated to your problem) the DHCP client under
Solaris likes to drop a non-FQDN entry into /etc/hosts first, breaking
sendmail and other apps.  It is possible to work around this using the
DHCP server though :)

[1] Fully Qualified Domain Name

Rob

--