[H-GEN] pentium 4 thermal 'tape' installation?

Joe Skilton shnads at 3blokes.mine.nu
Sun Aug 10 09:26:03 EDT 2003

Matthew Taylor wrote:

> Assuming I should remove tape completely purchase some thermal paste,
> liberally cover the surface and assemble.
>
> yes/no?

Short answer yes.

Long answer, There's two common types of thermal paste, the plain usually
cream coloured type, and arctic silver which is made from silver(duh) and is
very dangerous when used around exposed diodes etc, on a P4 this isn't
normally a problem, as the electronics in the cpu aren't exposed but AMD's
are highly prone to Arctic Silver and care has to be taken not to let the
CPU come into contact with it. P4 'liberal' is the word I would use, AMD not
so.

Take care with Arctic, no matter what CPU and you will see benefits(~5
degrees on most AMD system's i'v used it on).

> Mat.

Hope this helps somehow.
        Joe