[H-GEN] Novell buys Ximian Inc.

Sarah Walters sarah at uow.edu.au
Wed Aug 6 19:32:51 EDT 2003

> >Is anyone else working in a Novell environment and excited to think that
> >soon Evolution might be GroupWise compatible? I'm excited to see
> >anything that isn't java based :-)

It would be nice, and would offer an alternative to Exchange, which
Admin keeps clamouring for (even our Windows admins shudder at the
thought). Of course, you still need a GroupWise license, and at the
moment we're looking at going with SunONE (was iPlanet). Currently using
Steltor, but since Oracle bought it out we're dreading next year's bill.

On 07 Aug 2003 Sarah Hollings <sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> <pie loc="in the sky">
> Novells' excellent LDAP directory services implementation would be a
> great thing to give to the Open Source community, or perhaps partner in
> some way with OpenLDAP, which is still pushing ahead but quite limited
> compared to the enterprise scale implementations from Netscape and
> Novell etc.  If you're a small to medium company you could build a
> pretty good mail setup on free software, but put an OpenLDAP backend on
> that and you've got some scaling limitations.  Novell could make a
> really huge impact on OSS/Free software takeup in the corp-world
> </pie>

Hate to say it, but pie in the sky alright. eDirectory is a neat product,
I'll certainly agree, and I don't see it being open sourced. It's the
heart of Novell's suite, and is probably worth paying for. It would be
really nice if it would agree to be a replica to an OpenLDAP server
though. They've written it in such a way that it needs to be the master
which means that in our current environment we can't use it. Bummer,
that.

--
Mrs Sarah Walters
Systems Group