[H-GEN] network traffic shaping

Peter Arnold arnoldpj at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 4 01:38:09 EDT 2003

<snip>

> You don't say what OS, or how you want the traffic shaped.  If the OS is
> Linux, then the answer is probably "via the traffic control engine built
> into the Linux kernel", unless you want to do something pretty weird.
> That is why there is nothing on sourceforge - it is already available in
> a vanilla 2.4 kernel.

Either Solaris X86 (prefered as it is more intergal to our network) but I
can run with RH9 if required.

> The linux command used to configure the traffic control engine is "tc".
> There is no manual, but there is a "Linux Advanced Routing HOWTO".

Hmmm yeah I found that... I wan't real inspired when there was no man page
and the howto looked a bit daunting but if that's a recommendation then
I'll give it a shot.

> If you can tell me exactly what you want to to I may be able to help
> further.

I'd like to simulate different bandwidth/latency connections between a
client and a server using an inhouse application. Currently we have
several offices connected via Telstra FR with various levels of bandwidth
(in particular 128 CIR, 256k Burst) where in some instances client
connections to a server over the WAN really suck.

What I'd like to simulate is a 128K connection with ping times around
200ms as an ideal, then maybe a 64K connection with ping times of 800ms as
a comparison of same link under load.

Said application has a (cough!) mssql backend which I believe does not
play well with latency.

<snip>

Thanks
Peter Arnold